Apparently I will be living in a district called Mariahilf. I am pretty excited about it. It appears to be where the Esterhazy palace is located and a number of other things. For those of you who don't know, Vienna is broken into districts surrounding the original walled city. I will be in the first set of districts surrounding the city to the southwest. Map here:
View Mariahilfer in a larger map
More information will come as I have time to read up on the area.
In other news I discovered an Alpine club aimed towards English speakers. They are a group that does climbing and hiking as well as social events. Perfect for me? I think so. I have tried to contact them but it being the holidays I have yet to hear back. Hopefully, things will work out. I also found out that there are quite a few climbing walls in the city including this one which is simply too cool for words. Now I just have to learn all the safety checks in German. :D
Fun Fact: The sport of rock climbing is das Klettern. The verb is klettern. (Thank you Chloe!)
Happy buildering!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am so jealous of that climbing wall picture, that is going to be SO MUCH FUN!
ReplyDeleteGood luck, my dear!
-Roxana (Audrey's crazy Seattle friend)