Last night after a wonderful (but tiring) night at the Opera, I thought I would once again "squeeze the juice" (as Kent likes to say) and head to Augustinekirche for my first mass ever--in German. Why would I bother to drag my tired, sore-throated body out of bed any earlier than absolutely necessary on a Sunday? Because every week at 11am, Augustinekirche performs a fully composed mass. Today's was Hadyn's Große Orgelsolomesse or "Large Organ Solo Mass." You can guess why I went!
Figuring that I was in Europe, and in a Catholic country no less, I figure being well dressed would be a necessity. Well, here's the thing I didn't know: Sunday morning mass is NOT heated--even in 10 degree weather. Everyone was wearing the warmest clothing they owned and no one even took off their coats. I cannot imagine that type of cold is very good for the poor instruments that play every Sunday.
Despite the cold, the music was glorious. All of that stone was incredibly live allowing all of the sounds to mix and mingle beautifully. It was entirely surreal. The soloists were also wonderful. I especially liked the bass soloist and the tenor soloist. The gospel Processional was perhaps the most heartbreakingly beautiful thing I have ever heard on a Sunday and we had a lovely Alleluia refrain to sing back. For the first hour, I LOVED the music and got totally lost in it.
Of course, during all this the cold was slowly creeping into my hands and feet. And, speaking no German, and having never been to a mass in my life, I was completely lost during most of it. By the time the first hour was over, I had lost all attention to the service except my aching feet. Of course, being mass, I had another forty minutes to go. About the only thing I remember of the service from that point was when I started a conversation with the man sitting next to me. He spoke no English, and I speak horrible German but I did tell him I am a student and I learned that he does live in Vienna. I tried to ask if Augustinkirche was his home parish but I didn't understand his answer. I love how friendly people are once you approach them here. It's amazing to see the change from stand-offish to friendly, especially if you tell that you are a student and not just a tourist.
After that quick conversation, I only have memory of cold as I scurried through the wind back to the U-bahn and then scurried from the U-bahn to my apartment. My toes are still aching this evening from the cold. It took me thirty minutes of hot water to get them un-thawed. I then proceeded to take a two and a half hour doze since I ached everywhere. My throat hurts and I have a painful/stiff neck but it has finally started to feel better after a day spent in the house. Hopefully, with some good sleep I will be better by tomorrow. I certainly hope so since I have another German quiz.
In good news, Alpine Club Vienna finally put up a time for their meeting next week. I am really excited to go. Also, two weeks from now we have German finals and then a week long break. Adrienne and I have decided to go to Barcelona where it is a balmy 50 degrees compared to our frigidness here. After we get back from break, the students should be back at the University which means language buddies will be starting up soon! Wunderbar!
Oh so many exciting things in such a short time. I cannot wait!
Happy experiencing!

No comments:
Post a Comment